meat out of cooked lobster might seem a little intimidating, but it’s really
not very difficult. Just follow these steps. Once you’re done, discard
the remnants or save them in the freezer for making stock.
1. Twist the tail off of the body of the lobster.
2. Bend the
tail fins upward until they snap off.
3. Use a finger or a chopstick to push the tail meat out of
4. Make a shallow incision down the center top of the tail
to expose the intestinal tract.
the tract with the knife tip, just like deveining a shrimp; discard.
1. Separate the knuckles and claws from the body in one
piece by twisting them off or cutting with shears. Separate the knuckles from
2. Crack open the knuckles with the back of a chef’s knife,
or cut them open with shears.
nuggets of meat.
1. Bend the small part of the claw up and down until it
2. Gently pull away this small shell, leaving the meat
inside still attached to the big part of the claw.
3. With shears or the back of a chef’s knife, crack open the
claw and remove the meat in one piece.
4. If you don’t see a wide fin of cartilage attached to the
small shell (see #2), it’s still in the claw meat. Pull or cut it out.